Last night was an auspicious occasion for us as a company. It was the official launch of Babyville, the baby centric consumer arm of Clareville. Two years in the planning, not only was it a resounding success, but a thoroughly enjoyable event.
It has been equally fascinating and intriguing watching the planning of this launch. Seeing a team that has such passion, drive and enthusiasm for everything baby related clearly rubbed off on me, one minute discussing breast pump engineering, the benefits of specialised mattresses for infant flat head syndrome the next.
As I attend a lot of charity events, galas, benefits and observing the launch of Babyville, here are four top tips that any successful event hinges on:
1. Great content. Having an expert speaker, a compelling case study or new insight that demands attendance is paramount.
2. It goes without saying, as many people expect alcohol at events. In order to get conversation flowing and make people comfortable, have someone on standby with bottle in hand to refill flutes before guests even ask.
3. Gourmet food. Another no-brainer but easy to overlook. A significant amount of event launches neglect the quality of food, believing just some nibbles will suffice. An unforgiveable oversite, as often attendees (especially men!) will only remember the food, if little else. Remember that nearly all functions occur after work and people expect to be fed well in lieu of their dinner. Hiring a reputable caterer is necessary in creating positive conversations post event.
4. The venue. Make sure it is clean, suitable and appropriate.
5. The ambiance. A convergence of all the above. However if there is something faltering, this can be corrected through staff. Make sure everyone is clear on what their roles are and that no guest is left alone for more than a few minutes.